There are affiliate links in this post.
I’m not the only one to say that we are happy to say goodbye to 2020 and ready for 2021. 2020 was a nightmare.
Many of us are wondering what to do for New Years during Covid-19. Many of us will be drinking heavily celebrating while social distancing during New Year’s Eve.
I will not be.
We are starting a new tradition this year. Actually, we are just altering our tradition to fit a social distanced, stay at home Year’s Eve.
My family has a Greek tradition every New Year’s. Typically, they make the traditional vasilopita, a cake-like bread and bake it with a coin inside. After cutting all the pieces for family and friends, we eat it and wait to see who found the coin for a year of good luck.
This has been our tradition for almost 50 years!
This year we won’t be with family. We won’t be with anyone because we will be home social distancing. Being isolated has been tough for our family but we have figured it out along the way.
So, I thought of making Cocoa Bombs for New Years, one with a little surprise in it – a charm of a cross. I don’t want to put a coin in a Cocoa Bomb – but feel free to do that if you want!
These New Year’s Eve Cocoa Bombs make great gifts for people too, especially at time like this. Nothing says comfort like Hot Chocolate.
Download the Hot Cocoa Holiday Printable HERE
I can give them out individually, letting them know that we will open them at the same times and drink to the New Year – watching who receives the charm.
* Do not leave these around kids or animals, they could be a choking hazard.
We can all zoom at the stroke of midnight and make ourselves a little hot chocolate.
What do you think?
What is a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
A hot chocolate bomb ( also called a hot cocoa bomb) is a thin chocolate shell filled with cocoa powder and marshmallows. Sometimes there are other goodies added inside, depending on the flavor, and usually some decorations on the top of them.
Lily’s White Chocolate Baking Chips (optional)
Basic Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe
- Melt chocolate (start with 1 min 50% power) Do not over melt - just stir lumps until melted
- Spoon chocolate into the mold
- Put molds on a tray or cutting board and into refrigerator for 30 mins
- Pull chocolate molds out of molds when ready using gloves (if you don't want fingerprints)
- Heat up a plate for 1 minute
- Place mold on the plate to smooth out and fill with 1 Tablespoon of Cocoa Powder
- Place marshmallows inside
- Place other half of mold on hot plate and smooth out and immediately place on top of cocoa filled mold
- Heat up some white chocolate chips and spoon into a ziplock bag, cut off tip and drizzle on top.
- Add sprinkles
Exact amounts of ingredients needed or yield may vary depending on the actual silicone mold you use. Silicone molds come in all sizes - with the one's I purchased, I used the large ones, so if you don't use the exact same one we did, you may end up needing more or less of each ingredient. I used a full tablespoon of Cocoa in each mold.
If you are drizzling the white chocolate on top of bomb, make sure it cools a little otherwise it will put a hole in the bomb
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Just add a charm or something that you think is special inside. Remember to put it in a plastic bag or something that is big enough to be obvious so someone can’t choke on it.