This is a guest post by Sarah-Jane from yourfriendsj.com.
Make your mouth water and your taste buds happy with this Stir Fried Bok Choy recipe. You can enjoy this with chicken (like I did) or make it vegan by omitting the chicken and just adding more vegetables. On Instagram, I documented one of my grocery hauls and was gushing about how much I loved bok choy and the questions came rushing in! So I thought I’d give you guys this recipe so you can go try it out and learn to love bok choy as much as I do.
Bok Choy has so many different vitamins and nutrients in it. Bok Choy contains potassium, calcium, and magnesium (which are essential electrolytes especially when on a ketogenic diet). It also contains folate, vitamin-C, and vitamin B-9, amongst other things. Bok choy is not just your regular vegetable. Bok Choy is filled with fiber, packed with nutrients, and has many health benefits.
Tips for Success
As with any stir-fry, it’s important to monitor the heat of your frying pan or wok to ensure that the ingredients don’t burn. The garlic and ginger need to be cooked correctly when starting this dish. Nobody likes the taste or look of burnt garlic. So while making your stir fried bok choy make sure you don’t burn those delicious aromatics. That is a crucial step in making this meal taste as it should. This is what can make or break your dish. Other than that, this recipe is quite easy and extremely fast to make too!
I love this recipe because it’s not extremely strict. You can add any extra vegetables that you like to this dish and it’ll take it to the next level. I think bean sprouts, and cabbage would be ideal. Don’t shy away from being creative and feeling it out. Have fun with this recipe, feel free to add more or less seasoning (and garlic or ginger), than what’s listed in the recipe.
- 1 Chicken Breast (Diced)
- 1 Medium Sized Bok Choy
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic (add as much or as little as you like)
- ½ tsp Minced Ginger
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 dashes Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Wash bok choy thoroughly with water.
- Chop the leaves off the stalk and set aside. Begin peeling the layers of the stalk. Slice layers of the stalk thinly.
- Chop the chicken breast into small bite-sized pieces. Don't make them too thick, it'll take longer to cook.
- In a frying pan or wok heat Olive Oil and Sesame Oil with Ginger and Garlic until fragrant on Medium High. (Around 1-2 minutes) Do Not Burn.
- Add Chicken Breast with Black Pepper, Salt, Cayenne Pepper and Onion Powder to the pan and cook through, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. (Around 6-8 minutes)
- Add Bok Choy Stalks and Soy Sauce (or coconut aminos). Sautee until tender, but still crisp. Re-Season with a little Salt, Pepper and Cayenne Pepper as needed.
- Finally, add Bok Choy leaves and cook until slightly wilted. (About 30 seconds to 1 minute)
Serve alone or over cauliflower rice.
About the Author:
Sarah-Jane loves elephants, Bruno Mars, and slushies. In addition, she successfully lost 30lbs by following a ketogenic diet. Since then, she’s been committed to providing resources that can help people reach their weight loss goals. Check out her blog yourfriendssj.com.