As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
Have you ever wondered how to make a DIY gnome? I’ve always thought it was difficult until I did some research and found out how to make DIY Valentine Gnomes. This is one of my favorite DIY projects!
Valentine’s Day is creeping up so I’m getting started on something fun and new; I’ve always loved doing Valentine’s Crafts like hearts made out of recycled crayons.
This year I’m making adorable DIY Valentine Gnomes. I fell in love with Scandinavian gnomes and Nordic gnomes while visiting Finland.
Gnomes were everywhere. I brought some back and realized that they are all really popular during Christmas.
Since visiting Finland, I have become obsessed with Gnomes; Finnish Gnomes and Swedish Gnomes! I have decided to make some for Valentine’s Day and looked for some DIY ideas.
Can You Learn How to make DIY Valentine’s Day Gnomes?
I needed to learn how to make a DIY Valentines Day Gnome. But I’m not very crafty.
I am not a seamstress or a craft guru so if you think making this homemade gnome is hard, you’re wrong Anyone can do it. It’s really about the details that make them so cute.
I didn’t sew anything for this craft, I used a glue gun. This is hard to believe when looking at these cute gnomes, but it is really simple.
What kind of Hat should a Valentine’s Day Gnome Wear?
This is where you can get creative. I have seen all kinds of hats on gnomes.
You can also get a bundle on Amazon.
Do you Give the Gnome a Bowtie or no bowtie?
You can find cute bow ties on Amazon.
What Color Beard does your Valentine Gnome Want?
What Kind of Nose does a DIY Valentine’s Gnome Need?
Some people use beads for noses but I really liked making them this way.
No Sew Gnomes Vs. Sewing the Gnomes
These no sew valentine gnomes take just a few minutes to make. I can’t sew so it is not option for me. But some people do sew their gnomes.
These were so easy, I will be making more so stay turned! These little gnomes are so much fun!
These Valentine’s Gnomes took about 10 minutes to make. I just filled the sock with rice, tied a rubber band around the top, cut a faux fur beard and attached it to the gnome. It took less than five minutes to make the hat.
You can find some of the supplies for these little guys at the Dollar Tree (Dollar Store).
Supplies for Your Valentine Gnomes
- Valentine’s Day Fabric / Conversation Starter Fabric on Amazon
- Fabric Scissors
- Cheap Socks
- Rubber Bands
- Hot Glue Gun
- Faux Fur / Faux Fur on Amazon
- Cheap Rice
- Bow Ties (optional)
- Raffia (optional)
How to Make the Gnome Body (DIY Sock Gnome)
- Cut sock. I use the rest of the sock for a hair tie.
- Pour a cup of rice in the sock using plastic cup
- Wrap rubber band around top of the sock filled with rice (some people use floral wire – I’m afraid of punching a hole in the sock)
- Pinch a piece of the sock and make a nose (some people use a wood bead for the nose)
- Wrap another rubber band around it
How to Make the Gnome Beard
- Cut out piece of fur for beard according to how wide the gnome is and glue below nose. The top of the beard should be right below the nose.
How to Make the Gnome Hat
- Measure with ruler 10×10 inches and cut fabric (size will vary according to how much rice you put in sock)
- Fold fabric to make a triangle and cut the bottom
- Use glue gun to glue a dab of hot glue on the edges of triangle
- Turn inside out and glue the bottom of the hat so that it;s a clean fold
- Turn back out and put on the gnome
- Push down below the nose and glue
Cut sock . I use the rest of the sock for a hair tie.
pour a cup of rice in the sock using plastic cup
wrap rubber band around top of sock filled with rice
pinch a piece of the sock and make a nose
wrap another rubber band around it
cut out beard according to how wide the gnome is and glue below nose
measure with ruler 10x10 inches and cut fabric (size will vary according to how much rice you put in sock)
fold fabric to make a trianle and cut the bottom
use glue gun to glue edges of triangle
turn inside out and glue the bottom of the hat so that it;s a clean fold
turn back out and put on the gnome
push down below the nose and glue
More Holiday Gnomes!
More Valentine’s Day Fun