Spring break came and went and so did my healthy diet. So, it’s time to get back on track and throw myself back into my Keto way of life. I always feel so much better and clear headed when I do Keto. It isn’t a fad or quick weight loss diet, for me it’s a lifestyle.
Keto is not as easy as the media makes it out to be; so, if you’ve never done it, do your research first. The basic concept of the Keto diet is to consume foods high in fat (healthy fats) and low in carbs. I won’t get technical and talk about the specifics like macro nutrient percentage splits, but the takeaway is that you should be eating healthy fats like eggs, avocados, peanuts, etc… The Ketogenic Diet is all about getting your body into a state of Ketosis so that it burns fat for fuel instead of glucose. If you have stalled or hit a plateau while doing Keto, then a 3 Day Keto Egg Fast will help you get back on track and kick start your weight loss again.
Egg Fast Rules
The rules for an egg fast are very simple to follow.
- Eat eggs all day – 6-11
- For every egg consumed, you will have to consume 1 tablespoon of healthy fat, olive oil, sugar-free mayonnaise, MCT oil, butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc.
- 1 ounce of cheese per egg, max 4 ounces a day
- Eat an egg within 30 minutes of waking up.
- The minimum time between meals should be at least 3 hours.
- 3 diet sodas a day maximum
- No sugar or sweetener
- Stop eating 3 hours before bedtime
- 6-8 glasses of water minimum
- limit seasonings to less than 1g
- Tea and coffee are permitted but no cream
- no dairy, no meat, no veggies, no fruits
I recommend supplementing with electrolytes and adding magnesium, sodium and potassium supplementation. If you feel constipated, you might want to increase your intake of coconut oil. Magnesium should help too.
This is a simple recipe that is delicious, and it will work great for your egg fast! You just need four ingredients and you’re good to go! It just takes a couple of minutes to set up.
- 8 Ounces grated cheddar cheese and divided
- 12 Happy Eggs
- 4 Ounces of full fat cream cheese
- 12 Tablespoons of butter (preferably grass fed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dump half of the cheese into a 9.5 inch pie pan.
- Add eggs and cream cheese into a food processor or blender.
- Slowly add butter.
- Pour the mixture over cheese in pie pan.
- Add the rest of the grated cheese on top.
- Bake at 325F for 45 minutes
This Keto Quiche recipe is awesome because it makes 6 servings and you can keep them in the refrigerator for at least a week or freeze some of it for later.
Southwest Egg Cups
I love spices and they come in handy when eating a low carb diet. I created these easy Southwest Egg Cups to shake up the 3 Day Keto Egg Fast, but you can incorporate this recipe as part of your regular Keto routine.
All you need is 4 ingredients: Happy Eggs (12), 4 Ounces of Mexican blend cheese, avocado oil (I used one with that was garlic infused), and southwest spices.
Combine the eggs, cheese, and avocado oil.
Add a sprinkle of southwest spices. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes and voila! You have 12 servings and you could literally eat those all day since you wouldn’t exceed your daily cheese quota.
Don’t forget to use Happy Eggs! The rich, amber yolk is not the only thing that will lure you in. You will taste the difference in the dish. Whether you’re making scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, Southwest Egg Cups, or a Keto Quiche, the quality is obvious in the taste. You can find them through the store locator. What’s your favorite egg dish?